<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Color me green 

Perhaps you might remember back in December when I posted about my overwhelming jealousy of a blog I had recently discovered? I am now officially green with envy. Heather B. Armstrong, keeper of Dooce.com, along with her lovely baby Leta ARE FEATURED IN THE FASHION AND STYLE SECTION OF TOMORROW'S NEW YORK TIMES!!! Shoot me now. Please.

For those of you without an account with the Times, here's what they have to say about Dooce:

Heather B. Armstrong of Salt Lake City credits her blog, Dooce.com, with saving her sanity, if not her life. When it began in February 2001, Dooce was a collection of anecdotes about Ms. Armstrong's single life in Los Angeles, with provocative entries like "The Proper Way to Hate a Job" and "Dear Cranky Old Bitch Who Cut in Front of Me at Canter's Deli." After someone sent an unsigned, untraceable e-mail message about Ms. Armstrong's blog to her company's board in 2002, she was promptly dismissed, and "Dooced" entered Urbandictionary.com as a term for "Losing your job for something you wrote in your online blog, journal, Web site, etc."

A year later Ms. Armstrong married, moved back to Utah, gave birth to a daughter, Leta, and was soon after hospitalized for severe postpartum depression. Her moving, confessional entries from that time generated thousands of e-mail messages and, she said, helped speed her recovery.

Now about 40,000 people log on to read about Ms. Armstrong's efforts to break her daughter's binky habit and of her concern about swearing in front of Leta. Like most parent bloggers, Ms. Armstrong steals time at the computer when the child is napping, after the baby sitter arrives and late at night. She said she blogs at least 15 hours a week. "Dooce probably saved my life," she said. "The writing and voice I had let me hold onto part of the original and old Heather, something that being a mother and the depression couldn't take away."


You really should sign up for an account though and read the whole article. There are lots of links to other blogs that look very good. If I let myself start clicking now, I'll be up all night, so I'll have to save them for tomorrow.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Dooce.com. I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is one chick who deserves a book contract.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?