<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Well, we're home. Exhausted, but home.

I knew going in that making a 6:50 a.m. flight home from St. Petersburg would not be fun. What I didn't know was that we would have to leave our hotel at 1:30 a.m. in order to get across the bridge before it went up for the rest of the night. I will be having a small prayer meeting with my travel agent tomorrow morning.

I've got all the typical post-travel challenges going on right now: too much laundry, not enough food. On top of that I've got at least 200 photos that I need to go through so that I can get this trip blogged. Before I start that though, I want to get finished with the Poland trip from earlier in the month as well as a few catch-up posts I've been working on for events that I never got around to blogging. I hope to work on all of this tomorrow morning.

I've been meaning for ages to post a link to a really cool website I read about in the paper: World66. World66 has a neat little mapmaking feature--you check off the countries in Europe (or countries in the world or states in the USA or provinces in Canada) that you have visited, and it will generate a map with the visited areas colored in.

There are a couple of things I don't especially like about it. First, I wish the map included outlines of each country. Second, it seems inaccurate to have every visited country be the same color, regardless of amount of territory covered or time spent there. Should our 15 minutes in Liechtenstein carry the same weight as our multiple trips throughout Switzerland? Should our 3-day visits to 2 Russian cities entitle us to color in so much area?

Despite these drawbacks, it's a fun tool. The kids and I are eager to color in as much of the map as we can in our remaining year in Germany. Here's what our current map looks like:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?