<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Greetings from Moscow! We finally have a minute to figure out how the internet cafe works here in our hotel. It's not a bad deal: 80 rubles (not even 3 bucks) for an hour. We have 3 computers going for the 6 of us at the moment.

I had doubts about blogging right now, when there's so much to say and so little time to say it. Also, I can't upload my photos (all 180 of them so far and counting) until I get home.

We're having lots of adventures and overall it's fun, but it's not Disney-style fun. Moscow is a lot dirtier than I remember it being in 1986, for one thing. I don't know if the Soviets were just a little more on top of things or if all the litter was buried in the January snow. The food seems to have improved quite a bit though, and there's all kinds of stuff to buy that I didn't see last time.

We've hit all the big sights of Moscow. I've got dozens of pictures of St. Basil's shot from every angle. We've done Red Square and walked through GUM. We've ridden the Moscow metro more times than I care to think about. We stood in the pouring rain at the Kremlin yesterday afternoon while an armed guard and I yelled obscenities at each other at the top of our lungs, and then we celebrated Annabelle's ninth birthday at the Moscow State Circus yesterday evening. Today we took a boatride on the Moscow River. All the usual Moscow stuff, you know . . .

Tomorrow we visit Sergei Posad, a small town about an hour outside of Moscow, and then we take the night train to St. Petersburg. I'll try to get on at least once from there, but no promises.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?