<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

I've been working like crazy the past couple of weeks to get items scratched off my list of "stuff to do." Every night before I go to bed, I make a list of 13 things I want to accomplish the next day. Some are more challenging than others (like putting our bank accounts onto the computer) and others are just pesky little chores that I can stare at for many times the amount of time actually required to do the job (like carrying that box of books down to the basement after it sat in front of the hall closet for several weeks). Whatever doesn't get scratched off the list by the end of the day goes on the next day's list, but by keeping it to 13 main goals, I feel like I have a decent chance of getting most of it done.

I am the queen of procrastination, and sometimes it bites me in the butt. A month ago, for example, my dear friend from across the street moved back to the States. As she was moving out of her house, she bestowed upon me all of her spices, cleaning supplies, and other household belongings that she wasn't taking with her. Last week I got around to unpacking that one last box of hand-me-downs. Let's just say that frozen peas do not hold their shape well when they are deprived of refrigeration for weeks at a time.

The biggest item on my to-do list though has been "clean desk." That job has been number one on the daily list for ages now. I remember meaning to clean it back in March before Fred's parents came to visit and again in April before Frank and Teresa came. Then I thought it might be nice to have it done before Fred left, but pretty soon I was too depressed about the deployment to face a tragedy like my desk. I also meant to clean it before my dad came to visit in June, but it never quite happened. Sure, I moved piles of paper from one side of the monitor to the other, but I had trouble getting the necessary momentum to really get the job done. Until this past Saturday.

I wish I had thought to take a "before" picture, but I didn't. When it was done though, I had to capture the moment if only to remind myself that a clean desk can be more than a dream:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?