<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Home again, home again! It's 2:00 a.m., and we just pulled in a few minutes ago. I'm facing 290 emails and a week's worth of unread newspapers, but I just had to post to let everybody know that we made it home safe and sound (though I'm pretty sure I got a speeding ticket on the drive home--no mistaking the blinding flash of the camera in the middle of the night when you're the only car on the road).

I took tons of photos and even a few videos, so priority number 1 for tomorrow is to figure out how to hook the new camera up to the computer, so I can get them out. I'll also post a little review of how much I love my new camera.

For those of you who were looking forward to reading tales of my harrowing adventures driving on the left side of the road, I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Hertz wanted 10 pounds a day to add an extra driver to the contract, so Dad became our designated chauffeur for the week. Backseat driving, however, is free, and I am proud to report that I have elevated it to an art form.

I was full of good advice. At every (stupid, fargin') roundabout, I issued a standard reminder: "Now yield to the right and stay to the left." Once we had mastered the art of not getting creamed by oncoming traffic, I started offering hints on technique: "Swing wide; make it round! It is, after all, called a roundabout."

Dad seemed to appreciate my assistance for the first few days, but as his confidence grew, he needed my help less and less. "So tell me," he said today when I was being exceptionally helpful on the trip to the airport, "does Fred ever just reach across the car and backhand you one?" Mike and Annabelle had already assured him days earlier that I'm much louder and screechier when I'm helping their father drive. He got off easy.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?