<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 29, 2004

Woo hoo! We got our first phone call from Fred this morning!! Fortunately, I was running late on taking Mike up to the Boy Scouts' bake sale, or we would have missed it.

He sounds great. He just got done visiting Camp Anaconda in Balad, Iraq, for a few days and was on his way to Camp Doha in Kuwait. He called from Camp Wolverine, Kuwait (who names these camps anyway? 13-year-old boys?).

He said that there was a little excitement last night at the airport in Iraq, as the airfield took some mortar fire. Passengers were instructed to stay in the tents during the attacks. I guess that's par for the course, considering we shielded a generation of schoolchildren from Soviet nukes with school desks.

Fred reports that the internet connectivity has varied between "stinks" and "stinks on ice." It takes him 10 minutes to download a message, 10 minutes to switch to reply mode, and 10 minutes to upload his reply. So if he owes you an email, there's a darn good reason. And if he sent you an email . . . well, you're just blessed.

I celebrated my extreme happiness over the morning's phone call with a day of shopping. My friend Amy and I drove over to Kaiserlautern for the 415th BSB's summer bazaar at Rhein Ordnance Barracks (now, there's a REAL name for a post). The same vendors generally show up at these bazaars time and time again, so it's easy to breeze through and grab what we want. Today's booty included: a Beanie baby (not for me); a case of Belgian waffles (not for me); a case-and-a-half of wine, a bottle of Eißwein, a really cool corkscrew, and a set of Eißwein glasses (all for me).

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?