<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Ack! Here it is, Day 2 of my blog-something-every-day-this-week resolution, and I almost forgot!

I guess the most blog-worthy thing going on here today is that I am getting lots of practice as a travel agent. So far I have hotels set for 3 out of the 4 nights we plan on being on the road when Frank and Teresa visit. My friend Amy found us an excellent package of hotel rooms, breakfast, AND Legoland tickets for the first day and night. From there we'll take off for 2 nights in Venice, which has been interesting.

I sent emails to a bunch of hotels I found in the latest issue of Let's Go: Italy. In case you don't know, Let's Go tends to be the most budget-minded of the travel guides and caters to people who don't mind sleeping in some pretty primitive conditions. Well, one of these "budget" hotels wrote me back and said that, yes, they would be delighted to offer us two 4-bed rooms for 2 nights. At 300 euro per room per night! Granted, that includes breakfast, but unless they're serving diamond omelets, I hardly think that's much of a bargain. Fortunately, I was able to find a good deal at a suburban Holiday Inn instead. It's within walking distance of the train station and only about a 25-minute ride into the heart of the city.

Now I just have to nail down the hotel in Switzerland, and we'll be set. I have several emails out, and I've gotten a couple of responses. They're rather pricey but centrally located. I found an excellent deal at--again--a suburban Holiday Inn, but in this case there's no train service, and the taxi from the station would run around $25. So anything we saved on the rooms would be more than spent on transportation.

Tomorrow I'm going downtown to the train station to set up our train tickets.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?