<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

And the winning color in the grub suit election is . . . [drum roll] . . . RHUBARB!! Thanks to everyone who voted! The rhubarb grub suit has been ordered and is on its way to me, along with a pair of shoes and a polar fleece sweatshirt.

And in other news, I continue to expand my comfort zone for driving. I have gotten quite proficient at driving to the commissary and the USO and have even passed through Friendship Circle a couple of times to get to stuff that's on the other side of Sullivan Barracks (like the PX and the post office). Today I made the dramatic step of driving all the way over to Taylor Barracks to check the mail. That's at least 3 miles away. If I keep up at this rate, I'll be able to drive all the way to Wal-Mart before Halloween!

A random note or two on the animals over here: have I mentioned that the squirrels are a rich chestnut brown? They seem much more elegant than the scrubby grey squirrels I'm used to from the southeastern part of the States.

Also, we have hedgehogs! They're just cute as can be. I found this out a couple weeks ago when I heard a bunch of preschoolers in the common area across the street from me yelling "Hedgehog! Hedgehog!" At first I thought they were just playing a game in which one shouts "hedgehog" at one's opponents, but then it hit me--perhaps there really was a hedgehog! Sure enough, I walked over and they were standing in a circle around the most befuddled-looking critter I've ever seen. I explained how they would probably not like it if they were encircled by 30-foot-tall hedgehogs who pointed and yelled "Human! Human!" at them. Then we stood aside and let the poor little guy totter off into a clump of bushes. Since then, I've seen a couple more.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?